Do You Earn Money Outside Child Care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Earn Money Outside Child Care?

I want to write an article about providers who earn money in other ways besides caring for children. Do you have a part-time job? Do you earn money on weekends? Do you do fundraisers? If you would like to tell me more about what you do for my article, email me at tomcopeland@live.com.
    http://www.tomcopelandblog.com

I run another business providing a university accredited curriculum to parents and professionals in the field of personal development and leadership. I also help others to start their own home based business in the field. I make four times the money I make as a provider with six children in care and my rates are not cheap.

I would quit my day home today, but I am having a hard time leaving a girl that has been in my care for three years. I will quit over the next few months. I just need some time to absorb and process losing her every day.

Comment

we do! we make a variety of handmade items and sell online or at local festivals. its not anything major for right now....more of a hobby but we could easily make more if we had more time to put into the venture.

Comment

Hi Tom. I do some side stuff.

I am a mentor teacher for the California Early Childhood Mentor Program. I mentor student teachers, they conduct their practicum hours in my program and I also mentor them at their programs as well. I conduct workshops for them as well. I am an independent consultant for SETA/Headstart, conducting environmental rating scales for them. I also do this for the school district.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Comment

I sell antiques online. I wish I didn't have to. My mother in law died in April, we have over 6000 items to sell. She was an antique dealer, it is her stock. Tedious, huge hassle, not fun, in fact, I hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
            I sell antiques online. I wish I didn't have to. My mother in law died in April, we have over 6000 items to sell. She was an antique dealer, it is her stock. Tedious, huge hassle, not fun, in fact, I hate it.
            As much as you hate it, would you please share a link?

Comment

I do, although it's rather convoluted. I had an etsy shop selling handmade toys, purses, and any other fabric craft that struck my fancy. I haven't done anything in a long time because my sewing room in now my playroom and there wasn't time.

I lost one of my 3 kids recently, and I haven't been able to replace her. So, I expect my shop to start up again since I'm only working 3 days a week.

But, last night, we made a new plan. My semi-retired husband has a part time business. I've worked with him off and on for over 30 years, so it isn't anything new to me. He has a mobile car/truck wash, mostly car dealers right now. He has a dealer that has been wanting him, but he didn't want to take it on. He has some health issues and it's just too much for him. I decided last night that we could take that new account and I could go one day a week to help him. In 4 or 5 hours, I can make as much--or some weeks more--as I would with a full time dck. It isn't my favorite work, but it isn't bad and I can do anything for a few hours. The only reason I started daycare is that in this economy, it's hard to pick up new dealers who want to spend money getting their cars washed each week.

If this works out, and I have no reason to believe it won't, I will make in 32 hours what I was making in 50 hours a few months ago. I won't give up daycare though. For one thing, unless the economy improves, it's hard to find accounts, especially since we live in such a rural area. We lose work if it rains or if it is below freezing. We don't like putting all our eggs in one basket. Second, I am crazy about the 2 day care kids I have. I don't want to give them up until they go off to school in 2 and 3 years. Of course, if I lose them, I'll probably move to the city and get out of this dead town. I'm thinking it will be easier to get kids there.
              Last edited by Sunchimes; 09-21-2012, 05:49 PM. Reason: add something

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                As much as you hate it, would you please share a link?
                Oooh yes - if you have a link do share .

Comment

I have fun making boutique hair bows, tutus, tutu dresses and other fun clothes

I use naptime and evenings to make them. My dcg's are spoiled. They're always getting free stuff happyface

Comment

Crystal, My Angels,.....I sell them one item at a time on ebay and craigslist, right now I have a pie safe listed.

I need a better way. I truly hate it.

Comment

I have really wanted to, but haven't found the market I want to get into. I've thought about things like thirty-one, mary kay, scentsy, etc. but it seems like everyone is selling those things. I'm looking for something different. I could use the extra income AND the adult interaction

Comment

I sell Close To My Heart scrapbooking supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
                          Crystal, My Angels,.....I sell them one item at a time on ebay and craigslist, right now I have a pie safe listed.

I need a better way. I truly hate it.
                          Maybe you should set up an e-Bay store? I used to sell vintage and antique glass that way, but have gotten away from it the past few years. It was a bit better than tending to individual auctions IMO.

If you have 6,000 things maybe you should contact an auction house in your area? I know they take a commission, but you could move a lot of stuff fast that way.

Comment

The last 2 years were so unrealistically bad that I just quit and now work a regular full-time job. I used to work part-time jobs during slower times but it's too much sometimes, when you know your business isn't doing well. Partly, it was no calls, but when I would get calls and promises of registration, it would be that unlicensed/unregulated daycares would undercut rates so much that no licensed person in their right mind, could/would compete. So, I shut down completely.

Comment

Last Christmas I worked at our local Arena for some extra Christmas money. Not a good wage at all but I had to find something that worked around my daycare hours, which unfortunately doesn't leave very much to choose from. I made it work, rushing there the second dcp's picked up and getting home around 10pm, three to four nights a week. Needless to say, I quit after Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                              X