X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springvalley
    replied
    Department of human resources has all of the deficiency forms and evaluation forms on their website for the public to see. DHR had even one daycares information to include their evaluation form, deficiency form plus everything that was submitted to them to correct the deficiency displayed for public information. Immunization record that belonged to a child, pictures of a playground etc. I was appalled when I saw it because I felt like that was an invasion of not only the parents privacy but the daycares as well.
    Last edited by Springvalley; 10-20-2021, 10:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alwaysgreener
    commented on 's reply
    Your inspector must be related to my inspector. I use a dowel instead of a yardstick and he told me I couldn't, he insisted that a child would be able to pull them all open. Mind you at the time I also had my kitchen gated off so the kids couldn't be in the kitchen unless I was.
    I also had you move my daughter's hair ties down a drawer because they were a choking hazard. I still use a dowel, I just had to put a lid on the top drawer so even if they put open they can't get to anything.
    Funny thing is if the drawers are open they automatically reach to the eye level stuff and not the stuff in the top drawer.

• e.j.
    replied
    Originally posted by Alwaysgreener View Post
    So today I had an inspection.[LIST=1]
    This is three years in a row that he has cited me for things that the previous inspector did not find anything wrong with and there is no way to predict what he will cite next.
    For the most part, I've been very lucky to have reasonable, friendly licensors but this is one of my biggest gripes with licensing in general. I don't think it's fair to write up a provider for something that's been ok'd by another licensor. It's fine to let us know it's not ok any more but why not give the provider a chance to change it rather than write her up for it on the spot?

When we first moved in to our current home, we had our kitchen completely remodeled. We didn't want to start drilling holes in our brand new cabinets so I was careful to store things in the drawers and cabinets that were child safe - kitchen towels, plastic plates and sippy cups, etc. For the most part, anything hazardous was stored in cabinets above the microwave and refrigerator where the kids couldn't reach. I was told by my licensor at the time that rather than putting in safety locks on a set of 3 drawers, I could just place a yard stick down through each drawer pull so that the kids couldn't access the top drawer, which we used for stationery items like paper clips, erasers. etc. (The 2 lower drawers were used for pots and pans. Putting the yard stick through the pulls off all 3 drawers made it impossible for the kids to open the top drawer since they would have to open all 3 drawers at the same time and it was too heavy for them to do that.) All other licensors had no issue with that solution until one came in to inspect years later. When questioned about it, I nicely explained the set up and that it had been suggested by a past licensor and ok'd by the others since. She didn't like it, apparently, and in trying to prove to me that it was a danger to the kids, just about ripped the front of the drawers off trying to pull the drawers open. She finally did manage to get them open (a child wouldn't have had the kind of strength it took for her to do so) and proceeded to take everything out of my junk drawer and dump it all over my kitchen counter. She wrote me up saying the drawer needed a safety lock on it.

If she had just said she felt the other licensor's suggestion didn't work for her and asked me to move the contents before the start of day care the next day, I wouldn't necessarily have liked it but would have made the change as requested. Instead, I was written up and then had to deal with the mess on my counter while trying to supervise the kids. I was pissed! I've had a couple of other instances where something was ok with once licensor and not with another. I get one licensor may be in the wrong or that they may disagree on how a reg is supposed to be interpreted but it's frustrating when we're stuck in the middle, thinking we're doing the right thing, only to be written up. It didn't bother me as much in the past when the results of our visits weren't on public display for all to see but now that anyone can pull up that information to see, it irks me when it happens. Anyway...all that just to say I'm sorry that happened to you and I understand how upsetting it is to be cited for something you were told was ok to do.

Leave a comment:

• Alwaysgreener
    commented on 's reply
    The rules are online, the conflict how he reads the rule vs me (and past inspectors)
    I am outside of zoning so I only have to follow licensing rules on this.

Yes my last inspector came in for an interim and said he only had to observe me interacting with the kids. (It just happened to be nap time and I had to nurse ds, so he sat at the table for 45 minutes then left.) This guy comes the next year and inspects everything for an interim and I questioned why the difference. He never answered me.

This time he comes in and says he needs to see all paperwork, that it is a new requirement for an interim inspection. Ok what it is up to date, or list I think it is, until he goes through it with a fine tooth comb reading the wording on my contracts and other forms. The only difference between the one he says I need and the one I have is the new one cites rules on it. (My training is listed online and he could view that from home and spend less time here but he sits going through it.

I can't say anything about your rules but here foster care and day care has rules that contradict each other. Which you would think that they wouldn't since they are both carrying for kids that are not yours.

• Annalee
    replied
    Ask for the rules in writing.....my handrails are mandated from the fire marshall??? Licensing inspects all the forms?? Licensing doesn't inspect that here. I have licensing, health dept and fire marshall and some of their rules contradict each other. ??
    Last edited by Annalee; 10-19-2021, 05:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alwaysgreener
    replied
    So today I had an inspection.
    1. said I needed to update the policy. I said I did, it is on the second page. Showed him and he said he did not finish reading it. He crossed the citation off.
    2. said he cited me and that I needed a handrail, I questioned why did he (past 2 years) nor the other inspectors ever say anything. I said I disagreed with him, he took a picture and we moved on
    3. said that I had the wrong form, that I need to get the updated one. I had no idea that there was an updated one. I questioned that the form was outdated because I just had the families update them last year. Well, he got defensive. (warning)
    4. said I needed to finish my e-plan. Which I knew (warning)
    5. said I needed more bark, (last year he when I asked he said I was good and didn't need to add any) (warning)
    6. said I had too many bees (my neighbor has bees in their walls but I have 10 in my backyard) (warning)
    Well off to find the new updated form. You know what it says... that my current one is still useable. (previous additions may be used)

Oh after I disagreed with the handrail, his tone changed. After I questioned the form, it did not get better. Once he got done reading the citations and warnings, he threaten to change the warnings to citation because I did not like that he cited me for the handrail after 7 years of not being told to put one up. When he was reading the warnings to me, he keep saying "that I did not give you a citation for". After he made the threat he started asking, what do you want to do. I said just leave it. He repeated that he would change the warnings to citations, what do you want to do. I then said to end this conversation. Then he stopped.

This is three years in a row that he has cited me for things that the previous inspector did not find anything wrong with and there is no way to predict what he will cite next.
    Last edited by Alwaysgreener; 10-18-2021, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Blackcat31
    commented on 's reply
    Make sure you always state that late fees will apply if children are not picked up before early closing time. My clients are all great about picking up early if required but I had one a few years ago that would "try" and rarely succeed so I finally told her that she would need to pick up at noon on early close days, even if I didn't close until 3PM. I needed the extra time because she failed to respect my previous request. If she failed to pick up by noon, I told her my next step would be not allowing her to use any services on days i needed to close early. She got her ducks in a row and picked up on time every time until her child aged out. Sad that it had to come to such extremes but sometimes parents seriously need to be treated like kids. lol!

• Sparkles
    replied
    Everytime I have to close early, I have one dcm who always says "I'll try to be here before then" , "hopefully I'll be able to leave work on time."

Yeah, that's NOT how this works

Leave a comment:

• Rockgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Ugh, Iā€™m so sorry!

• Meadow
    commented on 's reply
    Update, it was ugly. Nasty messages after they opened the letter šŸ˜­. I do feel relieved, though!

• e.j.
    commented on 's reply
    Good luck. Stand firm.

• Sparkles
    replied
    I know that when a dcp has a question or request, I should always say "I'll let you know" so I have time to think of a response.
    But, I always freeze in the moment. I did eventually say "I'll let you know for sure" but not after rambling.

Ugh, thankfully I'll be able to backtrack this one easily.

Leave a comment:

• Rockgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Good luck! You will feel so relieved afterward.

• Meadow
    replied
    Handing out my first termination letter today at pickup. I'm a nervous wreck, hopefully I find my backbone šŸ˜¬.

Leave a comment:

• Rockgirl
    replied
    My home seems to have a laxative effect on children.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X