Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ItsAllSonShineAndRainbows
    replied
    So I'm "only" 35, and have been doing this for 14 years, but I am also disabled. About 3 years ago I just couldn't physically do it anymore. I was doing 9.5 hour a day daycare with preschool in the mornings (2-5's only). I also was planning on having surgery on my foot, which has a 10 month recovery (Covid canceled that... but that was the plan) I ended up deciding to do babies for 2-3 days a week. Got two newborns and had them for a year together. I had one family leave, and kept the other baby for another year by himself 3 days a week. I realized during this time, I'm not a baby person (I absolutely love this kid and his family, but I preferred teaching preschool!) When he was about 2.5 we started up preschool again, but this time only 4 days a week for 4 hours a day AND my bestfriend/roommate ended up quitting her job and working for me. (she ended up saying she'd be willing to offer nap and do it completely on her own, so we do offer full day *until 3:30* option as well) I seriously could NOT do it without her. Mostly I do the business aspect, planning and teaching lessons. She does everything else, she is my feet! I plan on doing this job as long as I can, but switching to just preschool has been the best change! Physically, it's what I needed, but it has so many other perks! The parents I have, either work at home or are stay at home parents... so if their kid is sick... they CHOOSE to keep them home! It's amazing! Closing for all holidays, spring break, Christmas break, and even some weeks during the summer isn't a problem for them! I got Covid in January and closed two weeks. My parents didn't blink an eye. And NOBODY complained about paying during that time!
    Long story short, if you want to keep with the job as you get less physically able to do it, there are definitely ways you can continue to make it work! Also, kicking out parents that don't work with your groupdoes wonders!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    commented on 's reply
    You’re welcome

• e.j.
    commented on 's reply
    I'm glad you did! It has kept me sane - for the most part. It helps to be able to read comments from so many other providers and find that I'm not the only one going through some of the same things we all go through with kids, parents, licensors, our own families... It's great to be able to come to a site like this where you know everyone else "gets" it. Thank you!

• Michael
    replied
    I was in my 40's when I started this forum.

Leave a comment:

• MissCait
    replied
    I’m 35 and been doing this for going on 6 years.

I agree, I think age plays a role. It has been difficult dealing with parents that are my peers. They do not respect me. They don’t think I know anything. My two best parents, one was older than me and she was very awesome. The other is my current family and she’s 5 years younger than me, but her mom did in-home daycare for 20 some years. So, she’s just really sweet and no BS.

My Aunt is retired, she’s in her 80s, but she did in-home until she retired. She just didn’t have the issues that I have been faced with. Parents reading one book and walking into my home and thinking they know everything and everything about their kids life has to change, immediately. That’s happened to me twice. Demanding I do things because the book says this or that and I know nothing. 🙄 All of the Dr. Googleologists too. People with untreated mental health issues and mood disorders. The drama queens when they want something. I just deal with all of them and it is what it is.

Anyway, all this to say we providers today just have to adjust to this change and learn to deal with it if we want to stay in it. Otherwise, get out because these parents are cray cray. Really, I don’t do this for the parents. My only goal with them is to make them feel at ease while they work. And not worry about their kids. Edited my comment to make it shorter.
    Last edited by MissCait; 06-16-2022, 10:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• e.j.
    replied
    I'm 63 and have been a provider for the past 25, almost 26 years. The running joke here for a while has been, "I'll probably continue working as a daycare provider until I'm so old, they'll be changing MY diapers!" At this point, though, I'm planning to stay open only until I hit full retirement age which should be in 3-4 years. I've been very lucky over the years to have been able to maintain a steady income. I mostly get families through word of mouth rather than advertising to the general public and I think that has helped in terms of bringing me fewer "problem" families. My dc parents have been great about only recommending those families they think would respect and appreciate me and my policies.

As far as time off is concerned, I take a fair amount of it. I think parents are less resentful of the time I do take off because they know what to expect before they enroll. I'm open 8-4, M-Th and closed on Fridays. Having Fridays off gives me one day of the week to use for appointments or anything else I want to do so I rarely have to close on days parents need me to care for their kids. It also gives me the extra down time I need to keep doing this job. In addition to having Fridays off, I also take every holiday (minor and major) with pay and have 2 weeks of vacation time scheduled, unpaid. Maybe it's just my age or the pandemic or the group of kids I have right now - or all of the above - but I'll be honest and say despite my time off, this job still feels physically and mentally exhausting lately. I'll be losing 4 of the toughest kids by the end of the summer so I'm anxious to see if that makes a difference in how I feel. I'm crossing my fingers because right now, the thought that goes through my head constantly is, "I'm getting way too old for this!" and "I'm not sure I can last another 3-4 years!"

In terms of the digs and comments from parents, I haven't had to deal with much of that but the few I do get don't bother me like they might have when I was younger. It may have something to do with the fact that rather than being a peer, I'm old enough to be my dc parents' mother. I treat their comments like I would comments from my own kids. I find I'm more patient for some reason and much more comfortable dealing with them head on. I had one parent who decided to push back on Covid policies that the state set and I had to follow, for instance. I must have texted back and forth with her for close to two hours one night and have to say that I found her snarky comments more comical than irritating or hurtful. I'm still working on my backbone even after all these years, but I think my age and experience has helped in that respect.

Leave a comment:

• Coloradoprovider
    commented on 's reply
    Yes! Even though the energy level isn't the same as my younger years (61 years old), I'm enjoying childcare more. The ability to balance my needs with the business needs has gone ever more in my favor! Even though it has taken time, my backbone has grown stronger (ability to say what needs to be said, ie. enforce policies).

• Springvalley
    replied
    I'm 34 and started working when I was 22 so I'm planning to go until I can't anymore

Leave a comment:

• Blackcat31
    replied
    Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post

By 50 you will be well able to tell your difficult parent to take a hike and know that you can fill the slot anytime you want. It will be super easy to enforce your own policies and you will be surprised you ever even gave their feelings a second thought. Their temper tantrums will become your entertainment. No worries.
    This.
    If you are able and willing to continue this profession beyond 50, this will more than likely apply to you. (general you).
    You come to realize what battles are worth it and which are not. Peace, harmony and a stress free environment become the goal and surprisingly they also become easier to gain.
    I put up with a lot of families, kids and situations "for the money". That isn't nearly as important to me anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Annalee
    commented on 's reply
    CH, you just made me laugh out loud and it's nap time. LOL But absolutely correct, those were the good ole days!

• Cat Herder
    commented on 's reply
    Us, too. Metal slides (Dante's fire chute) , metal merry-go-round (meat bag hurler) and metal monkey bars (the dislocator) that always had a two foot deep puddle of mud under and around them. Then there were the teether ball poles (face basher), yard darts (you feeling lucky?), and field balls of every size shape and color. Occasionally I'd take my boom box but we were limited to kids music (gasp, we were raised on metal and funk), mostly as a warning that I could turn it on if they got too violent. Fist fights were daily, but everyone was friends by afternoon. Nobody thought to come back with a gun, they might not get invited to a pool or skating party...
    Last edited by Cat Herder; 06-14-2022, 11:55 AM.

• Annalee
    commented on 's reply
    CH, we had concrete playgrounds and slides that landed on those concrete slabs and the slides were scalding HOT!!!! LOL

• Cat Herder
    commented on 's reply
    Parents today would lose their minds if we kept all the school-agers outdoors (even in thunderstorms) the entire 12 opening hours each day of summer break. The bathroom doors were on the outside of the building and had no hot water, soap, lights or AC. The covered picnic tables under the pavilion were our only shelter and we had fluoridated water fountains and sack lunches instead of a cafetorium. Ah, good times.

We were pretty much a homeless camp, without the bedding. And those were the rich kids. It was viewed as a luxury.
    Last edited by Cat Herder; 06-14-2022, 11:38 AM.

• Annalee
    commented on 's reply
    If we want to get technical...LOL....I was always the one in the pepper fields with the play pen at the end of the row with the kiddo-cousins...I was very young then..... LOL
    Last edited by Annalee; 06-14-2022, 11:30 AM.

• SignMeUp
    commented on 's reply
    Ha, yes! When I was six, I changed diapers, cloth ones with pins. When I was 11 I started officially babysitting, enough that I used my 50 cents an hour earnings to buy all my own clothes and school supplies, plus later paid the closing costs on my house with them.
    One summer I earned $10 a week for full time care of one child. Then $20 a week for full time infant care plus housekeeping. Then $26 a week for four kids full time. When I was first licensed, the going rate for full time care was $45 a week.
Working...
X