Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many of You Have Developed OCD Due to This Job?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How Many of You Have Developed OCD Due to This Job?

    I have no doubt, that my OCD was triggered by the constant fear of having something out of order, at the time of inspection.
    What I didn't realize until recently, is how much it does affect my family. Sure everyone likes a clean, organized house and a well planned day, but when it is carried out to the extremes, all the fun is sucked out (like someone on here said)

    So how do we continue tending to the 1000s of little details that licensing expects from us, and at the same time fight back this oppressive OCD?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Gemma View Post
    I have no doubt, that my OCD was triggered by the constant fear of having something out of order, at the time of inspection.
    What I didn't realize until recently, is how much it does affect my family. Sure everyone likes a clean, organized house and a well planned day, but when it is carried out to the extremes, all the fun is sucked out (like someone on here said)

    So how do we continue tending to the 1000s of little details that licensing expects from us, and at the same time fight back this oppressive OCD?
    I don't think I 'developed' OCD from this business, I think I was born with OCD. I've always been this way about every thing.

    Comment


    • Gemma
      Gemma commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol you're funny!

  • #3
    OCD, no. Germaphobia, most definitely.

    Comment


    • #4
      I have become a hypochondriac. Not directly at myself because I am impervious to germs, but for my own kids/husband. I don't want them catching extra things because of what I do for a living. So, I clean like a boss. ALL. THE. TIME

      Comment


      • #5
        Gemma, the joke is at my house for many years from my brothers especially is 'to not take your hand off you cup/can/bottle or xxxx will throw it away or put it up. I'm not as bad as I used to be but I like to be pro-active with everything. Have laxed up a bit in my own home as I'm just old and tired too many evenings but that's me.

        Comment


        • Blackcat31
          Blackcat31 commented
          Editing a comment
          My husband gets so mad at me for that same behavior! He cooks, I clean but while he is cooking I will take his paper towels and toss them, I'll take his cooking utensils and wash them, I will put ingredients he is using away etc... He is always saying "Wait until I am done cooking!" but I can't help it and am always tidying up... lol!

        • TwinMama
          TwinMama commented
          Editing a comment
          Omg!!! I'm seriously dying right now. Multiple times now my husband will say "Where's my water glass?" Or " Well my plate is gone...looks like I'm done eating". If it's laying around...it's gone. I feel like it's still not clean enough.

      • #6
        My husband and I were just talking about this the other night! He says I do too much but honestly, I’m so afraid to let the house sit for a couples days for fear I’ll find boogers on the walls or something

        Comment


        • #7
          So I've never had anything diagnosed, but do tend to have a lot of anxiety and OCD tendencies, and it really serves me well in this profession actually. I find I can give the attention to detail to make me successful, but it can also be exhausting.

          Comment


          • #8
            I don't think I've developed OCD because of this job but I do think it's helped me relax a bit more in some aspects. Of course, I am always thinking safety/liability but I know that sometimes with kids, messes just happen and things rarely go as planned so I have learned to lighten up a bit and not be so rigid in my expectations because of this job

            Looking back as a mom, I think my kids had it tough because I was always nagging them about keeping toys that had parts/pieces organized etc ... You know... "Don't mix Play-doh colors" kind of mom. Now I don't care. Mix the colors, combine the toy pieces and parts... I don't care. Just play. So yeah, I think I've learned to lighten up because of this job and other than the cleaning and constant tidying up, I am more easy going.

            Comment


            • #9
              I was OCD from my last job. I even found my self touching every pole I passed. I timed myself on projects.

              There is a system out there call 5S it was developed in Japan that we used at my last job. The American s's are sort", "set in order", "shine", "standardize", and "sustain".
              ​​​​I was so proficient in this this I had to train others in this system.

              Since then I still use some of what I was taught in 5S but I have relaxed and now allow the colors, toys,... to be mixed. But it was hard to let that go.

              ​​​​​​

              Comment


              • #10
                Omg...I feel like I constantly clean, but my house still isn't clean enough. I want to shave the dog and I feel like my kids are going to engrave the word "clothes hamper" on my headstone, because I say it over and over again. I would have more successful OCD if my family actually picked up after themselves. I'm scared it's going to get worse once I'm officially licensed. I actually have anxiety from it.

                I will say though that anyone that throws my schedule off and disrupts my group better run and hide. 😒 That's seriously the worst.

                Comment


                • Gemma
                  Gemma commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You might get worse (like I did) or you could be one of the lucky ones that earns not to obsess so much...good luck!

              • #11
                Originally posted by Annalee View Post
                Gemma, the joke is at my house for many years from my brothers especially is 'to not take your hand off you cup/can/bottle or xxxx will throw it away or put it up. I'm not as bad as I used to be but I like to be pro-active with everything. Have laxed up a bit in my own home as I'm just old and tired too many evenings but that's me.
                I guess my case of OCD is not that critical ]

                Comment


                • #12
                  Originally posted by Pepperth View Post
                  So I've never had anything diagnosed, but do tend to have a lot of anxiety and OCD tendencies, and it really serves me well in this profession actually. I find I can give the attention to detail to make me successful, but it can also be exhausting.
                  You remind me of my youngest sister...she's a Virgo, dealing with anxiety most over her perfectionism

                  Comment


                  • #13
                    Yep!! Germaphobia and OCD. It is hard on my family life here too. I hate it when my husband "allows" my kids to make big messes on the weekend. I try really hard to not care but the clutter makes me anxious.

                    Comment


                    • #14
                      BC, just now saw your cleanup-behind your husband post......that's funny!

                      Comment


                      • #15
                        Not OCD about anything but germs and potential safety hazards. My cabinet may be disorganized chaos but my sanitizing supplies and safety checklist are always handy.
                        Last edited by CeriBear; 06-05-2021, 06:07 AM.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X