X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackcat31
    replied
    My DH is a type 1 diabetic.
    I’m happy to answer any questions/concerns you might have.
    You’re welcome to PM me or ask within the thread, whichever works best
    Its hard….I won’t lie.
    Manageable under most circumstances but it’s definitely serious…as in life/death serious.

Leave a comment:

• Springvalley
    replied
    We had a child that had a feeding tube and it was easy to care for, give meds & make sure it wasn't dirty, Dad was a nurse so he came the first day & showed us what to do. Crazy thing was, it was the exact same feeding tube I had when I was a child (I had one from the time I was 3 until I was 12).
    Last edited by Springvalley; 11-13-2022, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• QueenBee
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Michael. I did a search after my post and began to read some of them.

• GirlMomma
    replied
    It sounds like the ADA is telling you the same thing they told AG. The child needs one-on-one attention (from my understanding per the ADA’s website) so therefore, the parents are responsible for hiring an assistant. Whether they’re denied or not - the ADA believes they’re responsible for paying for one.

Alwaysgreener is that what you’re understanding? Am I misunderstanding this?
    Last edited by GirlMomma; 11-13-2022, 04:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Here are some archived posts for diabetes: Type 1 Diabetes - Daycare.com Forum

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=diabetes

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+in+child+care

Leave a comment:

• Alwaysgreener
    replied
    Let me see if I can find my emails/notes from Tom Copeland.

Leave a comment:

• QueenBee
    commented on 's reply
    I called ADA when parent told me diagnosis. The rep directed me to their website which has a page for child care centers/provider and specifically a section on diabetic children. They told me that unless I have to 'fundamentally alter' my program, I cannot exclude for needing one-on-one attention. I have to accommodate child and integrate the responsibility into my program.

Parents applied for a para and was told that most likely, they would not get one for my family daycare. Had child been in public school, they would've been assigned a para.

SO, no additional help and must continue to provide care to avoid a lawsuit. I feel unequipped to deal with this...

• Alwaysgreener
    replied
    I had a child that fell under the ADA. I called the ADA and they suggested repeatedly that I inform the parents that they needed to pay for an assistant to focus just on their child. (When she told me that, I was mad because that's not the answer I was looking for and I didn't want the parents picking out assistant to be in my home but when I let the parents know this is what the ADA said, they pulled their child because they were not willing to pay an assistant and me.)

In school my daughter's class there is a para por that takes care of a child with diabetes. So if a fifth grade grown up child has a dedicated adult to take care of them, then a three year old should have a dedicated adult taking care of them.

(For the record I was trying to get to ADA help me find a way to work with the child and that was the only thing she was suggesting)

So my advice is to calm ADA.

(800) 514-0301

Leave a comment:

• QueenBee
    started a topic Diabetic 3yo

Diabetic 3yo

A child in my daycare has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have to accommodate her as it falls under ADA so I took the MAT and diabetes trainings. While I'm waiting for approval from doh to give medication, dad has been stopping by at lunch time to give insulin. We have to monitor child/device throughout the day. We text dad when sugar level is low and he texts back what snack (that they pack in specific carb quantities) to give her. My assistant and I are nervous about managing this and have been a bit overwhelmed with the level of monitoring that has to take place along with the caring for the other children in our care.

Anyone had this situation? Any pearls of wisdom to offer? What should I be aware of? What should be my responsibility vs I do vs the parents?
Working...
X