Phone App?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone App?

Does anyone use an app or something similar for parents to contact you? Usually I use my cell and I have been doing this 13 years and first time I’m having parents that don’t seem to understand that I am not available 24/7. I got a phone call one night 2 hours after closing that I didn’t answer because I was at my own kids school
    activity, followed by 2 texts asking if I new what brand of paint was on Dcb shirt… then last night a text at almost 10pm asking what dcb ate (which was on the daily sheet, but I wrote baby food instead of the actual food… which THEY sent in, but couldn’t remember what it was). The 10pm text woke up me and I was furious because I have been having trouble sleeping so once I’m up I’m up… I can’t do ‘do no disturb’. My parents have health issues and over the summer I got a call at 1am from an unknown number and it was my dad who had been admitted after a fall that broke his cell phone and couldn’t remember anyones phone number but mine. My brother also has mental health issues and sometimes texts late if he’s having an episode (long story).

I know I can tell the parents no texts after hours, but I do want to text if their child develops symptoms or has a communicable disease, and honestly they’re lovely people but that new generation where they seen to lack common sense!

besides getting a new phone that I can shut off are there any other things I can do?

Is your phone an apple? If so you can silence individual text chats.

And a good way to deter late texts is not to respond until next day during business hours. People usually get the hint.

Comment

• Sahm121
      Sahm121 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I started doing is silencing individual texts. They need to text at arrival and it was 8:03 before I noticed I forgot to unsilence them oops , so they waited 3 minutes this morning 🤷‍♀️

I use daily connect and it has a messaging option.

My DD teacher has clever teachers and another one used bloomz. (Bloomz had a dc option) Search your app store for teacher apps.

Another option is to get a number through Google and use it for business.

My phones do not disturb allows me to make an exception for my favorite people. So no matter what, my parents and dh can always reach me.

Comment

I use the Google voice app for advertising and DC. You can turn off notifications in your settings.

My DCP have my cell phone number. Anytime I get texts after hours and I simply ignore them until 7:31 AM the next business day. Most of them have gotten the hint and will email me now if it’s not an emergency.

Comment

I’m sorry your parents are being so disrespectful
        In your situation it might be best to firmly and sternly just tell parents you don’t appreciate after hours or late night contact and the ONLY time it is acceptable is in cases of an emergency … which as Cat Herder pointed out, there are no such things as daycare emergencies

Comment

• Cat Herder
          Cat Herder commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. It's true, that is the only solution to my knowledge. We can only control ourselves.

• Sahm121
          Sahm121 commented
          Editing a comment
          Can you help me with wording? I’ve been struggling with these parents pushing boundaries and I don’t think I can come up with anything besides ‘for the life of God, don’t text me over dumb stuff!’ 😂

If I wanted them to text illness symptoms at night, I'd just put my phone on silent or leave it in the playroom (where I actually leave mine every night). I would then check it prior to opening (as I currently do). Texts during the night don't bother me at all because I am blissfully unaware of them until my morning coffee a few hours prior to opening. I'm up early anyway preparing meals for the day.

I have a business phone and a personal phone. A cheap refurb from StraightTalk, $35 a month unlimited text/talk, was the perfect solution for me.

Comment

Had an employee once text the administrator at 2am saying that her kid was sick and she couldn't come in because they had been in the ER all night and expected the administrator to find someone to cover her shift when she should've done that herself!
          Christy Sewell

Comment

• Cat Herder
            Cat Herder commented
            Editing a comment
            I would have expected that have been the administrators' job, personnel issue. As an owner, that would literally be the reason I employed one.

Cat Herder in our employee policy it states that if you cannot come in to attempt to find a replacement and if you are unable to do so, let the admin know and then they can try or fill in
          Christy Sewell

Comment

Working...
          X