Center Employees and Their Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center Employees and Their Kids

Quick question are center employees allowed to threaten to discipline their kids in front of other kids? We've got a new employee that has kids and they've told the kids that they are going to discipline them by taking them to the restroom and use corporal punishment. Also, are employees that have kids allowed to tell their kids they don't have to share? The administrator and I kinda butt heads on this because I feel like if a kid has something they are playing with that they don't have to share until they decide to same as if someone asks for a hug or tries to play with a child and they decide not to
    Christy Sewell

I think this is all dependent on the owner and/or administration and probably not governed by state regulations but I’m not sure. Check your state regs to see if they list specific rules regarding employees and children.

if I were a center owner I personally wouldn’t allow staff to work directly with their own children if they attended.

My state has rules regarding staff and their children…but only when children attend under the assistance program ….state does not allow parents to be employed in a center where they’re kids are enrolled.

There are no state rules regarding patents that are self pay.

I know of no specific rules in my state for this issue

Comment

• Springvalley
      Springvalley commented
      Editing a comment
      There isn't any rules regarding this I was just wondering what your opinions are about this

• Blackcat31
      Blackcat31 commented
      Editing a comment
      Springvalley .... sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were asking about rules and regulations. My bad.. As far as my personal opinion on the topic; I think employees (as parents) is a bad idea in the first place HOWEVER if it's the case then I DO think they should be allowed to discipline their child as they see fit as long as it's not a threat of something illegal. They are the parent on or off the clock. As for the type of discipline they are threatening to impose upon their child...well again that depends on what you mean by corporal punishment... if you mean physical punishment such as spanking, then I think it's up to the parent again as long as it's not illegal. If you mean harming a child in other ways, then I wouldn't be okay with it and would report it to CPS/Child Protective Services and not administration as you are a mandated reporter and required to report anything replicating or known to be or suspected to be abuse.

The issue with telling their child they don't have to share... Again for me it depends on the situation. If it's a toy, then I think sharing doesn't mean giving it up...it means the other kid has to wait until the first kid is done but if it's something "special" such as a toy from home or a food item etc....it would depend on the specific circumstances and what the item was etc. Hope that answers your question better.

I feel like I answered this question already are am I losing it?

It really depends on the owner and director and who their favorites are.

Comment

• GirlMomma
      GirlMomma commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I think when the forum was updated it took away some posts

• Blackcat31
      Blackcat31 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was also posted in the venting thread, I believe. You did reply there. :-)

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
    sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were asking about rules and regulations. My bad.. As far as my personal opinion on the topic; I think employees (as parents) is a bad idea in the first place HOWEVER if it's the case then I DO think they should be allowed to discipline their child as they see fit as long as it's not a threat of something illegal. They are the parent on or off the clock. As for the type of discipline they are threatening to impose upon their child...well again that depends on what you mean by corporal punishment... if you mean physical punishment such as spanking, then I think it's up to the parent again as long as it's not illegal. If you mean harming a child in other ways, then I wouldn't be okay with it and would report it to CPS/Child Protective Services and not administration as you are a mandated reporter and required to report anything replicating or known to be or suspected to be abuse.

The issue with telling their child they don't have to share... Again for me it depends on the situation. If it's a toy, then I think sharing doesn't mean giving it up...it means the other kid has to wait until the first kid is done but if it's something "special" such as a toy from home or a food item etc....it would depend on the specific circumstances and what the item was etc. Hope that answers your question better.
    Thank you Blackcat31
    Christy Sewell

Comment

• GirlMomma
      GirlMomma commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said!

o threaten to discipline their kids in front of other kids? We've got a new employee that has kids and they've told the kids that they are going to discipline them by taking them to the restroom and use corporal punishment.
    threaten yes. I know at my last center we were told that corporal punishment by ANY staff member while in the center was prohibited. All it takes is one kid to go home and say "Mommy Miss _______ took Little suzy (staff child) into the bathroom and hit her!" to worry parents. I feel like if state came in and a child told them that a teacher hit him, staff child or not, that it could be a issue. I know my boss told us that we needed to report any corporal punishment's or suspects of it to managment. My co teaher used to look over into her childs classroom and hold up a hanger and make a whipping motion. This got us written up by state when the child mentioned it. Oh this was IL

Comment

At m former center (I am in TX), a co worker was in the toddler room where her daughter was getting angry/upset about a toy. Mom corrected her and told her to share etc. Well the State was there and as the State was walking past the room, the co worker said to her daughter "so take a chill". State heard her and yes we got written up 😏

As far as corporal punishment etc...back then it was a firm NO. You were only allowed to treat your own children as you would any child at the center. Maybe it's changed now but back then you couldn't.

Comment

• Springvalley
        Springvalley commented
        Editing a comment
        @Former Teacher: thats what I'm afraid will happen to us if state came in on us and caught someone stating they would use corporal punishment on their own child. That's why I also believe that staff children and the parent shouldn't be together. We've got an employee out on maternity leave right now and our administrator thinks that they will want to be in their classroom because they will want to be close to their child thats in the infant room (both employee classroom and infant room are in the same building and maybe 5 steps from each other) and she's afraid it won't work or will begin to cause conflict of interest because another employee will be with her child during the day instead of her. But we've got another employee that also has child and the owner puts the employee in the same classroom as her child and it works well
    Working...
    X