The Continuous Free Childcare/Preschool Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Continuous Free Childcare/Preschool Debate

When I first heard about the idea of free universal childcare, I thought it was a bad idea. Not only as a private child care business owner but as a parent too. I have never liked or supported the idea of a "one size fits all" mantra for anything and preschool/child care is the same. I've heard many arguments in support and defense of the idea over the years. Some worth looking into and others down right silly but the one that always made the most sense to me was the idea that parents should always have the right to choose. Since families, children and situations all differ it's only fair to say that the solution for each is also unique and individual. I think a majority of why universal preschool hasn't become the norm is because parents want the right to choose. Having the right to choose what's right/wrong for us personally and collectively as a family unit is much of the backbone of this country IMHO and rightly so.

The other day I came across this article and am not sure what to think....

"In debates over publicly funded childcare, conservatives and liberals alike trumpet the importance of giving parents the ability to send their children to the preschool or day care of their choosing. It’s an ideal fueled by the conviction that when it comes to childcare, no one knows what young kids need better than their parents. And yet, study after study suggests that parents are, in fact, lousy consumers of childcare. They are poor judges of quality even when their kids have been in a program for months, much less on a 30-minute tour taken a few weeks postpartum. Add to this that low-income parents enrolling in subsidized care often must make quick decisions with limited information, and picking childcare—one of the most momentous decisions a new parent faces—begins to look a lot like pin the tail on the donkey. "

Read the rest of the article here:

https://newrepublic.com/maz/article/...care-consumers

Following.....kind of talked out on this issue....

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
      Following.....kind of talked out on this issue....
      I am as well but this approach is an entirely different angle. Not sure how they expect parents to support free universal childcare/pre-K when they are basically saying that parents are too dumb to know what's best. lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I am as well but this approach is an entirely different angle. Not sure how they expect parents to support free universal childcare/pre-K when they are basically saying that parents are too dumb to know what's best. lol!
        Well, xometimes the truth hurts and I tend to agree on a percentage level that this is a true statement...I don't question the LOVE from parents but parents are NOT intentionally focused on what is TRULY best....it has to be convenient for the parents and it usually is sports related when parents get REAL involved. Please don't beat me up for typing all of that, but this hits close to home within my extended family....For all of my homeschooling kin, the mothers are constantly being taken on weekend getaways to escape their CHOSEN JOB to homeschool as they feel 'stuck home all day long'. Well, THEY made that choice....don't fault others who do NOT want to KEEP your kids while you recuperate from a choice YOU made.
        Last edited by Annalee; 10-20-2021, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Annalee
          Annalee commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me clarify, each kin I'm talking about have at least 5 kids and more on the way....having kids is a choice; your choice, not someone else's choice!
          Last edited by Annalee; 10-20-2021, 07:46 AM.

I think complaining in many ways is something that is completely acceptable and even encouraged by peers now days. I think everyone has something to complain about and of course parenting is one that is super easy to complain about. Everyone's kids are harder, more difficult and of course more work than another's. I too have heard many home school parents complain about being stuck at home etc. As a parent and with hindsight of course, I'd probably homeschool my kids today if I had to do it over again and I would probably feel "trapped" or stuck at home too. lol! I see homeschooling as the lesser of two evils more than something I really WANT to do.

I guess my beef with the article is that childcare should not be like public school where all children have to attend and be taught in some type of universal way. The idea that one size fits all in a world that is so hyper focused on individuality and unique wants/needs seems odd to me. I can't wrap my head around the thought process and villainizing those that aren't "falling into line" is going to have the adverse results.

Comment

• Annalee
          Annalee commented
          Editing a comment
          True, BC, sorry about my rant; just very pertinent to ME this morning. With the government there is no thought process....

Now that I've had a LARGE cup of coffee, I think the 'thought process' from the government is more of a 'control persona'. For some reason, the names 'education' and 'quality child care' cause people to vote for things without thinking. When it's all in the name of the 'children/students' things just float through and there is always an underlying subtle reason as to why these things float through without any 'real' discussion or aforethought???
        Last edited by Annalee; 10-20-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

... childcare should not be like public school where all children have to attend and be taught in some type of universal way. The idea that one size fits all in a world that is so hyper focused on individuality and unique wants/needs seems odd to me. I can't wrap my head around the thought process and villainizing those that aren't "falling into line" is going to have the adverse results.
          Yes, and I can only imagine if UPK is anything like schools here - large class sizes, no "meeting kids where they're at", failing half of their students. Right, let's just dumb that down and call it preschool.

No thank you.

But ... FREEEEE!

Comment

• e.j.
            e.j. commented
            Editing a comment
            A dcm and I had a brief conversation about free preschool. She was all for it until I reminded her that it's not really free. She'll maybe get a few years of "free" for her own children but she'll be paying higher taxes to cover it and for years to come, long after her own kids are grown, she'll still be paying higher taxes to cover "free" preschool for everyone else's kids. Suddenly it didn't sound so great to her.

Originally posted by SignMeUp View Post

Yes, and I can only imagine if UPK is anything like schools here - large class sizes, no "meeting kids where they're at", failing half of their students. Right, let's just dumb that down and call it preschool.

No thank you.

But ... FREEEEE!
          FREE is the name of the game playing right now especially!
          Last edited by Annalee; 10-20-2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I found this whole article extremely condescending. This writer has an obviously skewed view of childcare and honestly, a very terrible handle on writing skills.

Comment

The concept has been explained to me as they feel the kids need to be with parents as little as possible, with standardized routines (institutionalized) to improve their "outcomes". What happened to "parents are their childs best and first teacher and lifetime advocate?

The outcome they want is compliant workers who never question the status quo, breed readily, vote how they want them to and pay their taxes.

Comment

Someone has sent me a text already this morning with a news heading where universal pre-k will happen immediately; I told them there was NO way they could house all these kids....it sounds good, but in reality CAN'T happen regardless of the rationale behind it.

Comment

• Cat Herder
                  Cat Herder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We already have universal K-3, K-4 and Head Start. They can't keep full because they put so many restrictions on the parents that they can't comply (job) and are kicked out. Most are half-day, require home visits, mandatory attendance, relentless closures and invasive paperwork continually. It is as bad as being a DFACS case according to a former client of mine.

Personally, I think it is so they can brag about all the free they offer while also being able to absorb the unused federal funding into state coffers.

• Annalee
                  Annalee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly! They have two classes in each elementary school here but to get full they take non-compliant kids for the reasons you listed and parents either can't pick up on time, don't want them to go every day, etc.....It is free and I lose kids occasionally to it but it's not a real problem for me.

I'm with Blackcat31.

I hate that anything different in early childhood is now considered falling short, low quality, second tier, and all the rest of the negativity.

I definitely think that the any childcare environment should be safe and clean and there should be books, toys, games, etc, and that providers/teachers should be kind. Beyond that, is the sky really falling? Are some people under the impression that a child's chances at Harvard are going to be ruined if the daycare/preschool didn't follow these exact steps with this exact curriculum? I never understand what it is that is being missed, particularly that's so life and death.

The whole take the onus off the parents thing was definitely condescending.

Comment

Working...
                X