X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annalee
    replied
    I've been purchasing every basket I could find as I am planning a nature classroom by August.....I know I can't change everything but am trying hard to develop a more calming/natural color base for my daycare room. I did find a lady who is getting me a price on the words made out of wood I would like displayed around the room. While so much is moved out and gone, I still have too much....the old QRIS was such a materialistic guideline and it's hard to un-brainwash yourself. I've been picky but have utilized certain persons from daycare entities across the state as there are freebies and they LOVE to give to those who actually want/use these freebies. It's been exciting/frustrating/fun/overwhelming but it's getting there.
    Last edited by Annalee; 06-14-2022, 05:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BaileeB
    replied
    I finally feel like I’m building a business I want to run! When I opened in November 2021 I was excited but so naive. I thought parents would be thankful and grateful (as I was when my daughter went to daycare) and I didn’t have the backbone I needed. I felt awful every time I had to close for my childrens needs and I let a DCD talk poorly about me, in front of me, to another DCM. I ended up closing in March for some of my families needs and because I was having a hard time with my own personal happiness with my business. Well I came on here and read through so many of the posts, asked for a lot of advice and did a LOT more research. I realized what I was doing wrong and talked to my husband and bounced ideas off of him and my best friend (who worked in a daycare center for years). I decided to reopen in July and convert my garage into my classroom. I created a 25 page daycare policy handbook that outlines my expectations of the families and even put in some specific examples that will result in immediate termination. The renovation is about to start and I have been interviewing families all week. I have a new level of confidence that has made the interviews less awkward and the families seem to have more respect for me and are seeing me and my home as a BUSINESS! I am also able to be more picky because there are more families interested than I have spots available. It is the BEST feeling and I am SO excited to reopen and I am determined to stick to my guns this time so that I can enjoy what I do and not experience the level of burn out I did the first time in such a short amount of time. I have given myself a fair 2 weeks of PTO (which I thought the parents would be annoyed with but they are actually super understanding and supportive!) and I overall have just made so many positive changes and actually made a “rule book” that parents have no excuse not to follow. This feels like such a huge win! Woohoo!!!

Leave a comment:

• Alwaysgreener
    replied
    I Fb stalked the family I had earlier this year were the baby had water on the brain. I had called CPS for medical neglect and I have never heard anything from CPS, the letter that says we can't tell you anything. So I went and looked at the mom's account and there is a photo of baby with a knitted hat on. But there's a gap between the hat and her forehead which leads me to believe that she finally got the helmet she should have had. So either CPS checked up on them or they reconsidered my letter stating that she should have a helmet and special equipment. Either way I see it as a win for the child.

Leave a comment:

• Blackcat31
    commented on 's reply
    Yay!! That is definitely a wonderful milestone!! Congratulations!!

• GirlMomma
    replied
    DD2.75 is POTTY TRAINED!

Leave a comment:

• Kajada
    replied
    A daycare kid's mom is in labour today and I'm just SO excited and happy for them! I hope it goes well - they're the loveliest family.

Leave a comment:

• Annalee
    replied
    As stated in many posts over the last 3 years, I have been in what feels like a dungeon....but today, I scheduled a couple of future visits with personnel from child care entities, some during daycare hours, some after hours.....need the in-person vibes! I'm very picky with who comes in here but I've been offered such great empathy over the past 3 years from two persons, in particular, and plan to further some work I would like to accomplish with their help/services. No pretense with these two persons and that is what drew me to them in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• fivestarday
    replied
    I saw a dcg18months at an event last night. The moment she spotted me, she ran up to me with a huge smile, and I scooped her right up. That felt really nice. She was so happy to see me despite all the times I tell her "no" while in my care.

Leave a comment:

• GirlMomma
    commented on 's reply
    I will probably still raise my rates for the three families still on my old rate just because I deserve a raise 😂 But they’re both also late pick-ups… one kid is usually my first one in and last one out.

• Alwaysgreener
    replied
    Originally posted by GirlMomma View Post
    DH just found out he got a HUGE raise from his company that goes into effect on Monday!! Now I don’t need to fill my last spot!
    That is awesome, DH got a raise in Dec and Jan, plus I filled my last spot, that's probably why I haven't considered raising my rates.

Leave a comment:

• GirlMomma
    replied
    DH just found out he got a HUGE raise from his company that goes into effect on Monday!! Now I don’t need to fill my last spot!

Leave a comment:

• Blackcat31
    commented on 's reply
    That’s awesome! 👍🏻
    I bet the stress relief is nice too!

• Sahm121
    replied
    I terminated a family on Monday: it is a HUGE financial hit but today I got an email that I won a $1200 grant woo hoo!

Leave a comment:

• GirlMomma
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve had to have the same talk with someone about that, too.

That’s what the parent told the child today - it’s the rule and we have to follow it. I’m glad she backed me up because I planned on having another talk with the child.

• Blackcat31
    replied
    Originally posted by GirlMomma View Post
    I had a parent back me up on one of my petty rules today!!!!

I have a kid that has been obsessed with ringing the bell lately. Kid was pouting because I met him at the door and wouldn’t allow him to ring the bell today. Parent asked the kid what was wrong. Kid told her. Then I told the parent the rule. The parent got down to the child’s level and reiterated that we have to follow the rules. Kid wasn’t happy but didn’t throw a fit about it anymore. It made me feel good to be respected.

I am well aware that it’s a silly rule. But if one kids does it, they’ll all want to do it.
    That's awesome!
    It's also not a silly rule. It's ridiculous that a child feels they have the right and/or need to ring the door bell. It's unnecessary.
    Having a rule such as that is a good rule and one that needs to be followed. There are many times in which we, as providers, have rules that may seem silly to others really arent silly at all....especially in the context of operating a child care business with multiple families/kids.

For example, I open at 7:30 am. I arrive at work at approximately 7:15 to make some coffee, have a few minutes of quiet time and prep for the day's activities. Without fail, I have a parent that shows up at 7:16 and waits in my driveway. They don't come to the door until 7:30 (on the dot) but it drives me insane and makes me feel "pushed".
    It's far from relaxing or peaceful to have someone waiting for the clock to click 7:30. I also noticed a trend where the second another parent realizes someone is arrivign early they all start arriving early. It got to the point that I had 3 or 4 families waiting outside in their cars from 7:15-7:30 and it had to stop. I finally told them all to stop arriving until 7:30. Drive around the block, park two blocks away... I don't care just don't make your presence know until 7:30. I told them all if it didn't stop I would start charging for early drop off if I saw their vehicles before I opened.

Some rules only make sense to providers and honestly they don't have to make sense to parents or kids. They just have to follow them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X