X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SandBox
    replied
    GirlMomma

You’re right. Community Health Clinics aren’t the answer either.

“Furthermore, even though CHCs are present in more than 9000 communities, approximately 25% of communities with demonstrated primary health care need still do not have a CHC. Results from a national survey of federal health center grantees found that provision of reproductive health care services at their largest medical centers are also strikingly limited—25% do not provide oral contraceptives on-site, only 19% provide all contraceptive methods on-site, and only 50% provide on-site intrauterine device or contraceptive implant services.4Finally, the majority of CHCs require significant increases in funding for capital improvements to serve their existing patient population and meet their current demand for basic primary care services. The bottom line is that CHCs simply do not have the capacity, facilities, or resources to pick up the significant patient population left without care if Planned Parenthood health centers are shut down.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5463246/

Leave a comment:

• Cat Herder
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. He had just started crawling, it is something I hope no one ever has to go through.

Being forced to starve and drown in your own fluids, slowly, for weeks, is not something anyone should have to go through, either. I have been forced to watch it too many times, it is horrendous.

• GirlMomma
    commented on 's reply
    MissCait I gotcha

• Annalee
    commented on 's reply
    You can walk in our health dept and pick up a sack of condoms.....no questions asked....the bags are there for the taking. or you can make an appt at any age and get free pills....no parental consent needed.

And for a little money, most public bathrooms have condom machines in them here!
    Last edited by Annalee; 06-29-2022, 06:36 AM.

• GirlMomma
    replied
    I saw someone posted that birth control is free and I can’t find it. WHERE is birth control free??

The only place I know where birth control is typically given out completely for free is Planned Parenthood. The same Planned Parenthood that so many people with Pro-Life views want to shut down/stop funding because they offer abortions. Never mind the fact that PP offers free STD/STI testing, free birth control and free bag of condoms to low income families.

Leave a comment:

• GirlMomma
    commented on 's reply
    Cat Herder I too support physician-assisted suicide. Why force someone to be in pain and agony.

Also, I am so sorry for your loss ❤️

• GirlMomma
    commented on 's reply
    I’m so sorry you had to deal with that. ❤️

• Annalee
    replied
    I know I posted I wasn't going to post anymore on this thread but my dad always said I was like his sister and what I was thinking came out my mouth or through my eyes.

Anyway, I think ROE VS WADE is causing such a high-profile stir, not only because it takes a stand toward pro-life, but it also causes worry as more changes are to follow. It could be a domino effect with many issues going back to the states.

Again, just my opinion!

Leave a comment:

• SandBox
    commented on 's reply
    Blackcat31

And if I’ve said anything offensive to you, you are welcome to ask me about it. I am not a mean person. I just have problems with hypocrites. And I know not everyone that votes toward prolife are running the streets acting like prolife warriors. So, some of my comments aren’t directed to them, they aren’t directed at anyone on this forum actually. I don’t know any of you. My comment from first page is just pretty much my stance. That these bans will effect the poor and marginalized communities the most. It’s a fact. And I am allowed to say it and allowed to question why warrior prolifers don’t care about these communities that are alive and breathing and enduring real suffering right now, but claim they care so much about life. It’s backwards. I’m allowed to point that out.

• SandBox
    commented on 's reply
    Blackcat31

I just showed you proof where in the state of Texas more black mothers and their children die because Texas still doesn’t give them equal healthcare. They are the race that seeks abortion the most in that state. Their babies die twice as much as white babies in that state. And so their abortion bans will effect them the most in that state and make it even worse. Probably some more states too. I proved my point and answered why your question won’t work for all of America and why it shouldn’t be left up to the states. You can disagree all you want but I answered your questions with data. 🤷🏼‍♀️

And just so you know because I’m sure I’m hated in here, I don’t agree with everything the left is doing! Helllll no! Many stuff going on I don’t agree with. And I wouldn’t care that states got more power back IF they fixed their unequal laws and policies that specifically target certain communities. If they would fix these unequal gaps in healthcare. Stop placing drugs in their communities on purpose. It’s not fair and it isn’t right. I can’t apologize for giving a crap about it.

• Blackcat31
    commented on 's reply
    @MissCait

I disagree. Your stance is logical and understandable to me but doesn’t necessarily align with my beliefs and/or my perspective. This topic isn’t black or white and neither side is 100% correct. Hence the divide.
    If the majority agrees then the votes during future elections will show it.

I respect your opinion buts it’s not the only opinion. There is judgement from both sides and I’ve taken personal offense from a couple different statements made in this thread but I also accept that it comes with the territory….. Nonetheless, I honestly believe that this (and similar moral/ethical situations) will be arguable topics until the end of time and neither side will ever be fully right

I think it has a lot to do with how, where and in what manner you were raised. That’s why I think it’s a good thing that state governments (not federal) have the power to dictate. I live in a state where forestry and mining are a way of life. I don’t really worry or concern myself on a daily basis with the current issues regarding citrus growing or alligator
    hunting kwim?

Texas can’t be all bad as there are an awful lot of people that willing and without coercion remain residents of Texas.

• SandBox
    commented on 's reply
    Yes it would give people power to put senate in the seats that they agree with. 12 states are already moving forward. I don’t know all the senate seats to these states but just saying the ripple has started and bans are forming. Texas is already done.

• SandBox
    commented on 's reply
    “The argument about access for lower income women isn't, in my opinion, strong enough to warrant abortion to be a constitutional right on a federal level.” Kindly, yes it is. When half of the abortions are below poverty level now, that will not magically change with these bans. And they will absolutely not have access to safe abortion practices because they won’t be able to afford it.

Bans will NOT stop abortions from happening. History tells us this. It just increases the likelihood that people will resort to unsafe abortion practices. After 1973 R v W, it went from 130,000 illegal abortions to 17,000. That’s a big number.

“What's wrong with giving states the power to decide?Each of the 50 states are separate sovereigns; each with it's own unique set of laws to meet their own internal conditions and needs.” I am so glad you asked this.

Because of what you see Texas doing right now. Making very strict abortion bans. They have poor people, minorities who are poor due to systemic racism, rape, incest. Forcing their people to have babies they don’t want or partake in unsafe abortions. PLUS Texas is NOT meeting the needs of their state at all and here is why:

Here is a portion of an article I linked below.

“ To fully grasp the damage the law will do to Black and brown people of childbearing age and their offspring, it is important to understand that the state’s health care system has been failing them for years. Long before S.B. 8’s passage, Black infants in Texas were twice as likely as white infants to die before their first birthday. While Texas does not report deaths among new mothers by race, we know the national Black maternal mortality rate was 44 deaths per 100,000 live births in 2019 compared to a rate of 17.9 white deaths. There is every reason to expect this pattern holds in Texas, where overall maternal mortality is higher than the national average.
    And as an overall indicator of the inequity of the Texas health care system, in 2018 Black people in Texas were almost twice as likely as whites to die of preventable conditions because they did not get the health care they needed. Texas still has not expanded Medicaid eligibility rules, further predisposing low-income women to inequities in health care coverage and access to contraception, and delays in basic preventive care that impact health outcomes.
    It is not hard to see how S.B. 8 will exacerbate the system’s existing failures. Afflicted for centuries by poverty and discrimination, lacking access to reproductive health services, Black women in Texas have been more likely to experience unintended pregnancies. The result is that abortion is accessed more commonly among Black women. Unplanned pregnancies are associated with higher rates of maternal mortality, prematurity, and infant mortality. S.B. 8 will therefore compound the long-term damage of racism in the Texas health care system, disproportionately injuring Black mothers and their children.”

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blo...acist-policies

So you see, Texas is NOT choosing to meet their states needs. So you’re telling me their black and brown people don’t matter? Of course you’re not. You didn’t know. But they are telling you and me they don’t matter though. And those communities aren’t surprised. They sadly are used to it. And Texas isn’t the only state with racist politicians that are biting at the bit to enforce their new racist policies.

And why do I care?? I am white. Wealthy. Educated. Why do I care?? My daughters will be fine. Because this shouldn’t be happening to people in 2022. We are a country of the free and everyone should be treated equally. And they aren’t. And I’m sick of it. And when our streets are burning with fire and they are fighting back, we have no one to blame, but ourselves. We deserve it really.
    Last edited by SandBox; 06-28-2022, 05:30 PM.

• GirlMomma
    replied
    From my understanding of Roe vs Wade - the Supreme Court overturned the law on a federal level, leaving it up to the states to decide. But I think what people are missing is : the voters decide who gets the senate seats. So wouldn’t this give the voters the power to put the people in the senate seats that align with the voter’s beliefs??

I am a Christian. I am not registered as neither a Democrat nor Republican. I am Pro-Choice. I don’t think late term abortions should be legal but I think abortion should be legal for incest, rape and medical reasons at any time. My heart goes out to any woman that struggles with fertility.

I don’t believe anyone should tell someone what they can or can’t do with their body. Why are women denied tubal litigations because they’re “not married” or “don’t have kids” and they might “change” their mind? I have a hard time understanding why an abortion is a few hundred dollars and an adoption costs thousands of dollars… but this country wants to end abortion?

Here’s my story: In 2010 I was partying constantly. I was young and naive. I was back and forth with a man (7 years older than me) that cheated on me constantly. I found myself pregnant. I couldn’t take care of myself, much less a baby. The father of that baby wanted me to abort the baby, he already had several children and didn’t want any more. I was extremely ill from the pregnancy - I couldn’t eat or keep fluids in me. So I made the choice. I had blood work done and I was given a pill. No follow up visit was necessary unless I didn’t pass the embryo. I mentally struggled with my decision. I wouldn’t do it again but I don’t regret it either.

I got pregnant again by the same man about a year later, this time on birth control. The father wanted me to abort the baby again. I didn’t. Something in me just said I needed this to turn my life around. I had just lost my step-father, who had a huge impact on my life. Since the father didn’t want the child, I was mentally prepared to raise the baby on my own and I did. My mother and best friend were in the room with me when I gave birth. I have DD my last name. We went home two days later, no one stayed with us. Her bio-dad met her when she was 7 days old, because I drove her to meet him. She would have sporadic visits with him over the years. He never bought her anything at her birthday or Christmas. His child support was $25/week (welfare went after him) since he had other kids and he didn’t even pay that. I took advantage of any help I could get. I was on WIC, food stamps, Medicare and DD was in a subsidized childcare center. When she was six months old, I landed a sales position in corporate world. I was able to build her a good life and was completely off of all assistance by the time she was a year old. It was just DD and I for five years until I met my now husband. We got married and he adopted DD10, which cost us around $5000-$6000 from start to finish. A step-parent adoption with an absent bio-parent cost us that much.

I don’t regret either decision I made 10-12 years ago.
    Last edited by GirlMomma; 06-28-2022, 03:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Blackcat31
    replied
    Originally posted by MissCait View Post
    The problem with giving the states the power is you have stupid states like Texas. 6 weeks and no abortions after even for rape. 6 weeks is not enough time. And then… hey everyone, here is a bounty, you turn someone in for fleeing/aiding for an abortion in the state of Texas, you get some money. That’s an old trick they have used before.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/tex...ters-citizens/

I don’t live in Texas. I am no where near Texas, but I still care about the people that will be impacted by this in Texas. I know though many don’t care because it’s not effecting them. Until it does. Then they will care.
    What's wrong with giving states the power to decide? Each of the 50 states are separate sovereigns; each with it's own unique set of laws to meet their own internal conditions and needs. Abortion isn't being outlawed in the US. It's simply being left for each state to decide what's right or wrong for it's population, like many other laws.
    The argument about access for lower income women isn't, in my opinion, strong enough to warrant abortion to be a constitutional right on a federal level.
    Because the definition of human life differs for so many, there is never going to be a unanimous point of agreement on this topic and the poll I posted is showing that it's a much larger divide than many think it is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X