Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parent Applied For State Pay...And I Don't Accept It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent Applied For State Pay...And I Don't Accept It!

Help please! I have a parent who just started last week...although she is here 5 hours a day, she pays full time because I transport her to preschool. Today she comes in letting me know she was approved for state pay with a start date of last week, and wants that week and this week reimbursed since they are covered. I do not accept state pay and am really upset I was not notified she was applying for it. This will be a big paycut since I will only be paid one unit per day since she attends preschool. If I let her go, is it discrimination, and do I have to reimburse her????

In my state a provider has to apply and be approved to accept state assistance payments.

If you choose NOT to accept state payments, that is entirely up to you. No one can make you.

If this mom chooses to apply, and you don't accept it as payment for services, then she will need to look elsewhere for child care.

I used to accept state payments but just recently have decided to no longer do so. I gave notice to my families that received it and said the reason for terming as "provider no longer accepting state payments". I do not think it is discrimination at all.

I would definitely let this mom know right away that you aren't accepting payments through the state and you are not going to be reimbursing her for anything she has already paid you.

Comment

I was legally unliscensed when I did childcare in my home so accepting state pay was not an option. Even if I was liscensed, I would not have accepted state pay. I would just tell her that you do not accept that as a form of payment. If she wants to go elsewhere, then she can, but I would not reimburse her what she already paid. That is what was agreed upon as the amount of payment for your services. She should have told you that she was going to apply for this since all childcare providers do not accept it.

Comment

I agree with the other posters, no refund and just tell her you don't accept it. I know a lot of registered providers in my area don't accept it and the centers only accept a certain percentage of state pay clients.

Comment

Here I have to have a landline phone to take state pay. I only have cell.

Comment

Yeah,I agree with everyone else. It's not fair what she did. Or I guess she was naive and think that you would accept it when you don't. So you won't get pay the full amount if you receive state pay?

Comment

So, if you reimburse her, who is going to reimburse you? Does she just assume you have the money in your account to give back to her?

Comment

I would just tell her that you do not take state pay. You don't have to say why. It's not discrimination. It is totally your choice to take state pay or not.

Comment

Do not reimburse her.

If you are okay with losing her simply show her the door. If you want to keep her, check out what your state rules are... you might be able to charge the parent anything above and beyond what the state pays so you wouldn't have to take a cut in pay to keep this family. Either way, I would not reimburse her unless you get reimbursed from the state first.

Good luck. This was a yucky spot she put you in.

Comment

I accept state pay but I need to know upfront if that's how they will be paying. Many times the state pay, will not cover my fees and the parent has to pay above and beyond what the state pays. I always explain this to them and require payment, either state, or private, up front. If a client says they are trying to get state subsidy, fine...however I will not reimburse fees already paid. Sticky situation that I don't usually have to deal with due to most dcp that I've dealt with simply do not start dc until they receive state funds. Either they do not or cannot come up with the funds....

Comment

I agree you do not have to acept state pay if you do not whant to you also do not hae to acept an aranglment where any third party pay for example grandma

Comment

It is your choice whether or not you accept state pay, are there any states where you HAVE to accept it?? I wouldn't think so. I added right in my contract that I do not accept it because my very first client didn't tell me she was on it until AFTER she started - it was a horrible experience and I refuse to ever accept it again.

Comment

Working...
                        X