Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something To Consider Re: Maternity Leave :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something To Consider Re: Maternity Leave :)

So I'm in labor. Last night I was having regular contractions for about 6 hours and made the call to take DD to my sister and close daycare for today (thinking that I'd probably have the baby by morning). Well, I went to bed and they fizzled (kind of...) and lo and behold, I'm still in labor today. It's just not really progressing...yet. I mean it is, but it's very slow and er, laborious (pun not intended!).

So anyway, it occurred to me that all I ever said to my families on the subject was that I will take off a full week after the baby's born. I didn't make any allowances or plans for if I'm in labor for several days and not working during that time! I definitely think i made the right call (being able to relax and not worry seems paramount to this progressing--if I was working today, I'd be worrying and stressing and stuff). My families seem like they are being understanding of the situation, I mean they've all had kids before of course! But I still feel bad.

I'm not compromising my full week off plan though...no way am I starting the week today unless the kid's born in the next few hours (possible, not likely).

So, anyone who's working on maternity leave policies, make sure to add in what you'll do if you have a situation like mine were you're in early labor for a few days before actually having the baby.
    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Same thing happened to me. I just take what I need to take (along with 5 days post baby) and thats that. The parents just have to deal with it. There is nothing as important as your health and the babies health and anybody that is not cool with that is not cool with me, end of story.

Comment

I'm sure the parents will understand....after all, they have all had children, right?! !

I'd go ahead and call all of the parents today and let them know the plan is to have baby hopefully sometime tonight or tomorrow, which basically puts you at the end of this week anyway and that you will re-open on June 13th.

BTW....WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wishing you a safe, healthy delivery, a beautiful, healthy baby, a speedy recovery and blissful happiness with your families new addition!!!

Comment

Don't sweat it! Just tell them when you will be open again and focus on you and your family. Congrats!! Let us know when baby comes!

Comment

CONGRATS!! I took 4 weeks off afterwards!

Comment

Just wanted to say congratulations and I hope everything goes smoothly!!!

Comment

I thought I was in labor on a Friday. Contractions every 10 minutes from 7 AM til 8 PM. Then nothing until early Sunday morning. Didn't have DD until 9 AM on Monday morning. She was sunny side up so that's why the long labor. They had me walk with wide hips (like I'd been riding a horse too long) and she finally flipped. Maybe try that. Lots of squatting and wide walking. Good luck.

Comment

Good luck with everything!

Comment

I was in labor (actually checked in at the hospital labor) for 29 hours with my son so I think anyone who has a child would understand that you might need an extra day of two off!

BTW: 5 days off is short enough as it is! Hopefully recovery goes well for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X